Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Foam Pumpkin Gets a Book Page Makeover

 As soon as I saw this idea in the October 2011 BHG Magazine, I knew I wanted to "try it at home": a foam pumpkin covered in book pages. 

 
 
Here is how mine turned out!


I purchased a foam pumpkin at Michael's for $4.49.  {That was the price at 50% off - if any of you know where to get foam pumpkins for less, please share!}  The book pages were from an old hymnal my sister picked up at a flea market. 

I used a paint brush to apply glue to the pumpkin and covered it with smaller pieces of the book pages.   Then I used the Mod Podge to decoupage the book pages.  After everything was fully dry, I sprayed on the glossy finish, which is optional.  I somewhat regretted spraying on the finish because I liked the previous matte look better.  So if you like a matte look, skip the spray.  If you like a glossy look, then spray to your heart's content.  {Decoupage Hi-Gloss Finish also purchased at Michael's.}


This pumpkin will add a bit of vintage and a bit of fun to my home this fall.  You will probably see it reappear on my hutch if I can finish painting it this weekend.  So far it has been sanded, primed, sanded, and painted with a first coat.  It looks so pretty already, but needs some more work.  Can't wait to share!  {I decided to go all white, by the way...still deciding if I'm going to distress it or not.}



By the way, that is popcorn in the bowl behind the pumpkin.  If you look closely you will see there is less in the second photo.  The kids were snacking away as we enjoyed a fall day treat of apple cider juice and popcorn! 

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

David and Kristi said...

Such a fun project! Love that you used the hymnal pages. So creative! Keep sharing your ideas...I might steal some of them! Looks like the kids were having a blast, too. Love to all of you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE it, Susie! I'll maybe try and make one of my own. Can't wait to see the finished hutch project! And there is something in that last picture of Cora that REALLY reminds me of Bella (who just loves her cousins). Miss you all!
- Sara

Anonymous said...

Wow these pumpkins look great! I was just looking at a paper covered one at Camas Antiques and wondering how it was done? Now I know! Thanks for sharing. The kids look like they are enjoying their treats and Cora is adorable! (Actually all 3 are)! Love, A. Dianne

Keni said...

Awesome job! I love that idea!