Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Much prettier in white...


Here she is in all her glory!  My new white distressed hutch.  I still have to pinch myself that I was able to find such a pretty piece - in such great condition - for such a great price {I love you Craigslist!}.  Painting her was the biggest DIY project I have attempted to date, but I am pleased with the results.  She just might be the nicest piece of furniture in my house!



I am a rookie, but didn't want to make any rookie mistakes, so I did my research.  This e-book was a huge help, so I'm glad I spent the $10 to download it.  Below are the before and after pictures.


You can see that I kept the original hardware.  I love how the handles and knobs pop now that they have a white canvas behind them.  There are so many pretty details on this piece and a little bit of distressing really made them stand out.


Now that I've finished this piece, I can hardly wait to start on another one.  Seeing the transformation a little paint can do is addicting.  It is making me consider painting my kitchen cabinets, a daunting task!  

This little one is 18 months already.  Hard to believe... 


Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susie, This turned out beautiful!!! What a job! And I see you have your enamelware sitting in a great place! Cora looks so adorable! Thanks for sharing all your projects--are you really going to do the kitchen cabinets? Love, A. Dianne

Jeff Raymond said...

I just saw your piece on Altard, and it looks wonderful! This is my first time to see a French Provincial hutch, and you did a fabulous job on it. Thanks for sharing! - Jeff R., Facelift Furniture

David and Kristi said...

Love, love, LOVE the hutch! You did an amazing job! I was talking about it so much that David got nervous I was going to go get a hutch to do myself...haha. Cora looks adorable! Can't believe how big she is getting.

Amy said...

WOW!! Susie, you did such a great job! I'm so sad we don't live closer to work on stuff like this together... although Peter and Tim are lucky that we're not going thrifting/junking together each weekend! My pile of stuff-I-pick-up-off-the-side-of-the-road is big enough!!

Lynn said...

I just recently bought a hutch that I want to refurbish, but I'm just a little nervous to start. Do you have the directions anywhere to what you did to make yours so unbelievably beautiful? I would love to know. My email is lsmith5160@gmail.com if you have any helpful directions for me. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!! It looks fantastic, and your Portland find looks great on it too. :) Great work!!
- Sara

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a darling hutch and sweet girl :) Would love for you to come share at Feathered Nest Friday!! :)

The LadyBugs Garden said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love this redo. The kids are beautiful!!
Stephanie

Unknown said...

Oh yes. It is so much prettier in white. Great job.
Kylie

Cynthia said...

Oh my! What a gorgeous hutch! I think it looks perfect in white!

The Vintage Farmhouse said...

I think a coat of white paint solves everything! Looks fab! ♥

driftwoodesign said...

Looks fabulous!
Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh this turned out amazing! I wish I had space in my home for a pretty piece like this. I'm glad you kept the original hardware, I think it looks wonderful against the white! Love the pitcher there with the flowers too, lovely!

Unknown said...

Good for you for attempting such a large piece! It turned out beautifully. Love the overall shape, that is only enhanced by the white. No wonder you love it!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous hutch! I love how you updated it by taking off the top doors! Just stopping by from Miss Mustard Seed. :)

Inspired by you said...

It looks so great in white!

Deborah March said...

SO beautiful...and your wee model is just PRECIOUS!