Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One thing I do know...



One thing I do know:  I really enjoy painting furniture.  One thing I don't know:  exactly where I'm going (and how God will lead) with this new hobby of mine.  I don't want to keep taking from the family budget to fund my hobby, so I need to find a way to make a little spending cash along the way so that I can keep doing this thing I love.  (I did sell a dresser I painted, which was really cool.)    

When my parents were here over the holidays (Free babysitting!!!  Thanks Mom and Dad.) I got to spend an afternoon with my good friend, Cammie.  We stopped by a local antique fair mall (big warehouse divided in to booths where people sell their antiques/collectibles/junk) and got to talking with one of the ladies who was working in her booth.   I mentioned I love to paint - she said she hates to paint.  And apparently Lisa hates it so much she would pay someone to do her painting for her because ... I ended up agreeing to paint some of her pieces.

Getting paid to do something you love is a.w.e.s.o.m.e.   Lisa picked up the first pieces I completed today and she was thrilled with the results.  (Big sigh of relief and I might be blushing a bit.)  









The table needed some TLC, but nothing some wood glue and putty couldn't fix.  Plus, that's the great thing about this style of furniture.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  Any imperfections and we conveniently say it "adds character".  I did prime, paint and wax this piece so that the table would be durable and easy to clean if food was ever placed on it.

The rocking chairs were so great.  I miss them.  Old, worn, comfortable.  I wanted to keep them.  I painted them in Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in Pure White with a wax finish.  By stenciling the pieces they immediately became a "set".  Who wouldn't want to sit and enjoy some lemonade and cookies on these beauties?


Sigh.  One thing I do know:  I really enjoy painting furniture.



Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susie, These are so cute! You have quite an eye for this and there are a lot of people who would want you to refinish their stuff. You just need to find them! Hugs, A. Dianne

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great when you're good at what you love and get paid to do it?? I'm so happy for you Susie!! Maybe you should open up a booth of your own! Beautiful work!
-Sara

David and Kristi said...

You did such a great job! So much fun to see all your work. Please keep posting them! I will be praying that God shows you what He has in store...because girl, you've got talent!